Sep 24, 2011

The 101 between Aberdeen and Forks




Along the coast of Washington lies an amazing highway called the 101. The scenery on this stretch of blacktop is unbelievable. It has everything I would want (expect for jobs...but really...who the hell wants one of those) if I wanted to settle into a place again. 


 The entire coast is pocketed with reserved native lands and small towns. Private drive ways, dead end roads and a plethura of shit shacks to rich shacks.

 I decided to sleep on the road last night and it was interesting. Little did I know that the 101 does a whole hell of a lot of logging traffic and at the point where  didn't feel safe driving anymore turned out to be right in between to logging entrance roads. The speed limit on this stretch is 60mph (this means 100miles per hour for semi's in the dark of night) so imagine a night of thousands of pounds of truck driving by at break neck speeds. Needless to say the van was a rocking but anyone could have knocked...because I was awake!

  I saw the first sign of the ocean through a crack in the tress and wondered how I was going to get there. This isn't the ocean like hanging out at the crab pot ocean...this is the raw pacific. There is only one point further out than this and that is Neah Bay...I'm heading there later today.

The surfs, the beach...the freedom. It was an amazing morning and  cherish the time to be able to live like this. I didn't make it more than 100km in 8 hrs, just kept starting and then seeing something awesome and stopping. But Ruby Beach...it was the most populated beach I visited but I could see why. A photographers dream, a hippies paradise and an americans pride and joy.













I am the hippy!



pristine beach like this for miles and miles, not even a wave ripple

Enjoying the Pacific with  kutztown sarsasparilla

trying to be artsy and mysterious










As awesome a find as the Inukshuk village?> Maybe not...but it was so awesome I lost where I built mine as soon as I turned around







 Toodle ooh ooh ooh...I'll be back soon! 

1 comment:

Thank you!